Three customers, including myself, found themselves misled on October 16/17 by signs like "All sweaters buy one, get second one 50% off." Quite straightforward, no? Just the same I asked three different times, different salesclerks and different ways, whether this product or that one, was included.

The answer, yes. The last one was the cashier: "I hope those 2 sweaters are included in the Buy One Get One sale". Her answer: "We'll see when we ring them up." Not a location with more than about 2 clerks on at a time (Ironwood Branch, Richmond BC), so these people should know their products without ringing them up. However this tactic was quite effective; when they turned out to be not applicable, I hesitated to back out, and bought them.

But it left me with a bad feeling of being fooled. I wasn't the only one, the woman just ahead of me went to get a sign and said "These pants I bought should qualify." Cashier: No, those are not part of this sale." The woman: But the sign says "All pants...etc." No, they weren't included. It turns out, the sign only applies to those of the same brand!! Ha, ha, a good joke on us!

A woman ahead of us bought an Alfred Sung leopard coat, as I did ($199.99) because the sign right above the Alfred Sung coats said 30% off. Only later did I realize the small letters included other clothing, not coats. This is my error yes, for not reading the small print, but one also made by the other woman, both of us trusting the retailer's integrity to place the signs appropriately, when the sign was placed above the coats, and not anywhere near the other products.

I guess this is how some retailers survive, by this kind of deception. Opened my eyes, I'll be keeping them wide open at this one if I go in again; don't feel friendly towards this grasping, disrespectful company.

Product or Service Mentioned: Marks Work Wearhouse Deal.

Reason of review: Not as described.

Preferred solution: Price reduction.

Comments